Sunday, July 29, 2007

Amarillo to Loveland, CO


Where's Loveland, you ask? About 40 miles north of Denver. About 500 miles northwest of Amarillo. It was a long drive today.

We started early. Lulu and I dropped Barry off at the airport at 6 am, then went back to the hotel, ate breakfast, and hit the road. We traveled on some of the back roads out of Texas, then cut through the northeast corner of New Mexico and crossed into Colorado. As we climbed up into the mountains, we saw some beautiful scenery, and at one point, we stopped to gawk at a field full of deer. We couldn't get a picture, though: as soon as I got out of the car with the camera, they took off.

From the freeway, we saw The Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs; that was close enough for me. And I tried, but I couldn't figure out which of the mountains is hollowed out for NORAD.

Just south of Denver, we ran into a violent thunderstorm. It was raining so hard, you couldn't see the road, but you could see the lightning striking the ground all around and sending up spouts of mud. Everyone pulled off to the side of the freeway to wait for it to pass, even the truckers!

We had a great view of Invesco Field from the freeway, and Lulu said, "Daddy would like that!"

Finally, we found a hotel here in Loveland and called it a day.

Tomorrow, Wyoming. The distances out here make me appreciate the pioneers all over again. And those outlaws who rode hundred of miles on horses--where did they get the energy to rob trains?!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How did Lulu get to know me so well?

walkingtokaido said...

And how did you coerce Lulu to pose again? She put her foot down: "NO MORE PICTURES!"

Though I was sure she'd let you take a pic of her riding on the real-live-bear in Jellystone.

And how are you managing to teach three classes? I can hardly manage one, and I'm HOME.