Sunday, August 5, 2007

Spokane, Day 3

What a fun day this was!

The heat finally broke a bit: it went from the 90s to the 80s, and the night was cool. This made life much more bearable!

Lulu and Grandma spent the day together playing games, reading, and watching movies, while I went to visit some friends: Jan and Jenny Polek. Jan is the widow of my most influential college professor, Fran Polek, who inspired me to go to graduate school and become a professor. He was the most wonderful man--he always thought what you were doing was terrific and amazing. He was like that with everyone: when he was talking to you, you were the most fascinating person in the world. I've always wished I could be as good as Fran told me I was! We stayed in touch and became friends after I graduated from college, and since his death a few years ago, I've been lucky enough to remain in contact with his family and become friends with them. They, too, are wonderful people: full of energy and hope. Jan got involved in politics quite some time ago, and still remains involved; she also writes a column for the Spokane newspaper. Jenny, their daughter, is a real estate agent. Frank, their son, is a lawyer in San Diego. All of them are people who see the silver lining before they see the cloud. I can't tell you how much I enjoy my time with them. I always walk away feeling energized, as if I can do anything. Their ability to spread that feeling around the world is their greatest gift.




In any case, Jan and Jenny invited me to lunch, so I went to their new house, which is quite lovely: lots of light, flowers everywhere, and in a pretty, quiet neighborhood on the South Hill. We got caught up on each other's activities, and complained a bit about politics, and I got to meet all their birds. There are 6 of them. Two joined us for lunch. I've never spent much time around birds, so I was amazed at how expressive they were, and how smart. Jenny fed them bits of bread and fruit, and they talked to us. Each has a very distinct personality, and it's clear they understand most of what's being said and felt.

Eventually our lunch party broke up: Jenny had to go sell a condo, and I had to go visit Dad. I was sorry to leave, and I'm already looking forward to seeing them again.

I stopped by to see Dad for a while, and then headed home. We had a quiet evening: dinner, conversation, watching tv. It was beautiful outside, now that it's not so hot, so we played with the dog a bit out in the yard. She's so happy when you play with her. She always has something in her mouth, and she lives in hope that you'll throw it for her.

Tomorrow: Cat Tales!

2 comments:

walkingtokaido said...

Dogs that play?

Vinnye does not get the concept. He eyes flying stuffed dog toys with mild suspicion and will always fix you with a "so what do you think I'm going to do about THAT?" stare.

I think he's a Vulcan.

webgoddess said...

Gadget shakes stuffed toys to near-death then licks them better.